Monday, February 15, 2010

How did I let this happen?

Scale photo by Ben Earwicker Garrison Photography http://www.garrisonphoto.org
33.9.

That number is staring at me. Mocking me. See the 9? It's sticking its tongue out at me.

I now weigh a whopping 33.9 pounds. In just over a year I managed to gain 8 pounds. You know how it is: You get a little older, you move a little less. Your meals don't get any bigger, you think. But you're grabbing a snack here, sneaking a bite there. Before you know it, you're bigger than most toddlers. No cat should be bigger than a toddler (although it would help with the tail pulling).

Dr. Katz says I've been inadvertently eating more than 500 kcal per day. I had no idea! Neither Marlene nor Jess did either. Just just kept giving me little handfuls of kibble thinking "it's just 10 crunchies!" Well, at 600 kcal per cup, those 10 little crunchies maybe ain't so little.

So we have a new plan: I'm limited to 400 kcal per day. That's it. No more. Dr. Katz figured out that's 2/3 cup of the Evo turkey and chicken blend. Jess already measured it out and it's not unimpressive as servings go. Let's see how it goes throughout the day.

But what about moist food? Jess found this great gourmet food that we all love. No word on caloric content yet. I do like me some chunked up tuna, but not at the expense of my beloved kibble. You hear me, girls?

Here's hoping I can drop a couple of pounds by May. Spring will be in full swing, the air will be sweet. This white, cold stuff will be gone and we can try the Jess-carries-me-down-the-alley and I-run-like-hell-for-the-house thing again.

::paws crossed::

3 comments:

suz said...

i'm right there with ya, mosby. this winter has been hard on the waistline. i'm thinking it's something to do with global climate change and not at all with winter breads, treats, stews and baked goods.
surely spring will see us in better shape.
khairete
suz

FernWise said...

Yeah. I'm bigger than most toddlers, too. And I'm shorter than Jess is!

But while I've got your attention ... I've been pondering a cat and environment question. Given that cat boxes need litter + Starbucks gives away their used coffee grounds for free = ? can I dry the coffee grounds and use them in my cats' litter box?

Mosby said...

@FernWise probably not advisable. Mainly because coffee is very bad for us felines. Our hearts can't handle the caffeine. We still have to lick our paws clean (even if we can't always reach them). Maybe decaf? Then again, think about how much the litter tracks now. Then think about how coffee stains. Do you want that on your carpet/floor?